Monday, February 8, 2010

Gotta Start Hittin' The Books

I ebb and flow as the leader of our little Spellman school. I'm gung-ho for a time then we kinda lull into an "it'll wait" type of mindset and it's always due to my sporadic leadership.

So I'm going to be setting up a new system and I think it might help. And I'm not going to tell you about it, cuz just as soon as I do the new system will fail. No, I'm not superstitious... I just know it happens that way.

Part of the fun of homeschooling is that you don't have to stick to a prescribed schedule... but there are times that I wished we did have more daily requirements by law, because it would give me better motivation.

Anyway, enough about that.

I have been reading more often. That was one of my new year goals (remember, I don't easily resolve). In the evenings, Steven and I usually end up sitting in the living room, each with our own book... (psst... don't tell him I said this, but his books are boring!). Right now I am wrapped up in reading the Bible - there is a 90 day program out there and I hopped onto it... I love it. The daily reading goals are not insurmountable and it is so nice to actually see progress so quickly. I am already to Nehemiah and I only started a month ago. Plus it's much easier to get drawn into the stories when you're reading chapters at a time and not just verses. I will admit that Leviticus was yucky-hard and other parts are just plain boring... but I do come away with a different perspective about something every day.

I'm also in a book study for moms at my church which I love as well. Right now we are reading this book:

Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN

I read this book on my own a few years back when I only had 2 kids causing me anger and frustration, and it's great to read it again now a few years later... cuz while I see where I have successfully adapted some of their techniques... I can also clearly see that we have settled back down into some old (bad) habits too. It is so nice to be able to read it with other moms now - to gain their ideas and perspectives as well as just have the accountability... cuz that's obviously what I need when it comes to hitting the books!

1 comment:

Turansky/Miller said...

Jessie, I was drawn to your blog because of your post about our book. I'm glad you're enjoying the study at the church as well. Give my best to the folks in your group and feel free to send us some stories about how the ideas are helping your family. Blessings, Scott