Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

No, I'm not a medical professional. This post has nothing to do with the official diagnosis and/or treatment of the legitimate form of irritable bowel syndrome (and for that, we all breathe a huge sigh of relief.) In fact this post will address a new phenomenon we are experiencing in our household... one that is not too icky to discuss but is causing a pretty good sized paradigm shift in the dynamics of home life. (and will also proves that I am never satisfied.)

(cue the menacing music)

Avery and the potty...

I hear you sighing already - trust me, I'm not going to go into great detail here. I'm tired of talking about this just as much as you are tired of hearing about it... But, there has been a change and who knew that I would reach a day when I would actually be wishing that Avery wasn't potty trained.

So here's the deal. Avery doesn't poo in his pants anymore and for that we are eternally grateful, really. But he still doesn't enjoy the potty experience... so what's left is a very irritable Avery that puts off going potty as long as he can.

He really reaches a point where he is not fun to deal with - I think it was easier for us if he would just go off somewhere and do his business in his pants! Yes I was tired of cleaning up after him, but if I knew that it was a trade off for a very cantankerous Avery I would have chosen the dirty pants (I think.)

That's where we're at - the boy hasn't made a mess in his pants for about a week now... but you better stay on the right side of him when he's uncomfortable and full! I think I will be trying some MiraLAX to see if that will soften him up a bit, if ya know what I mean.

No comments: