Friday, September 11, 2009

Lots O' Critters

The boys have been really busy finding a whole bunch of living things hanging around on our property. Most of them have been found with great pleasure. A few have been found with fear and trepidation.

Like the other day when Isaiah came running to me absolutely panic stricken and scared out of his wits. I was at the front of the house with Lillie and Avery and he is flying toward me as fast as his rubber boots could carry him with Huston following behind. Huston looked more confused than scared but Isaiah was terrified and yelling, "Help me, help me..." along with other things that I can't remember and some of which I just plain couldn't comprehend. I finally got him calmed down enough so that he could spit out in between panting and heaving that he saw a "rattlesnake."

I was skeptical, but concerned about what he did see. So I picked up my 18-mo. old and took the hand of my 3 year old and we started walking in the direction of the allegedly venomous creature. (I know, smart move mom). Well to put you at ease, we saw it, it wasn't a rattlesnake it was an aggitated Hognose snake that was hissing loudly and telling us to back off. We oohed and aaahed and then we left it to do whatever snakes do and went into the house to learn more about Missouri reptiles on line and to call our friend the conservationist to ask him some questions.

Now, Isaiah and Huston are all about finding wildlife and I became their personal photographer over the last few days to take pictures of whatever they find. Isaiah will be logging this finds into his nature journal for school and I am smiling at how very easy these science/nature lessons are coming off.

So here are some pictures for you to enjoy (or not, depending on whether you are critter person or not!)

The hornets nest that has been build on our house (we haven't done anything with it because we have never even been dive-bombed by one hornet, so don't worry, but we will dismantle it eventually)...


a big fat toad frog that had made himself right at home in one of Huston's boots...


a hognose snake (this wasn't the one that gave my boy a heart attack, this is a different one, comforting that there is more than one huh)...


another snake (we are waiting on our friend to classify this one)...


and another snake (again waiting for classification, and he was a tiny, tiny baby)...


here are some fun acorns...


and a little moth/butterfly thingy...


a cute little snail...


and finally some "exciting" mushrooms...


Backyards are sure full of interesting things.

1 comment:

Emil Kirstein said...

Lovely family; lovely pics.