Thursday, December 2, 2010

The 2:00 Wake-Up

I'm not a morning person.  I love my sleep.  It makes me happy.  In fact I can't think of any feeling I love more than finally being able to lay my weary body down on my soft bed and know that good deep sleep will soon follow.  I usually am asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Here lately I've been waking up in the middle of the night... for seemingly no particular reason.  I used to hate it.  I mean when I was dealing with an infant, the middle of the night feeding got old really fast, so waking up for no reason got old even faster.  I couldn't just drift back to sleep either - it would be at least an hour of doing nothing waiting to get drowsy again.

But now I look on this time quite differently and I almost look forward to it as much as I do my bedtime.  This has become my devotional time.  Any moment that I wake up in the middle of the night I view it as God tapping me on the shoulder asking me to spend time with Him.  I love it.  The house is so quiet, no chance of any interruptions... I spend the time with Him and then I fall asleep so easily afterward.  I'm also so very ready for the next day ahead.

I have struggled for nearly 9 years now in finding a good time to have uninterrupted God time.  Seems that He has solved the problem for me... too bad I was too dense (or selfish) to think of it sooner!

No comments: