Friday, February 13, 2009

Hodge Podge

This post is going to be a little of everything I feel. So I am not even going to try to connect it all together - you can just jump along with me from one train of thought to another.

Last night I went out with a couple of friend and tried sushi for the first time. I know, what a sheltered life I lead some of you might be thinking. But I have no family member that has any desire to try it and I am not one to go out to a restaurant like that on my own and give it a go. My friend Heather is a sushi veteran so she and my other friend Randi Jo took me out to give it a whirl - and really it wasn't too bad. Kind of salty - some of them really salty! and I passed on the raw shrimp one. That's just not right. I must admit that after awhile they all started to taste the same. I even tried eel - not to bad really - and now the kids can never complain about trying my cooking - if I can try eel, they can try squash!

While we were there Heather ordered a Japanese soda for her son. She showed it to me and it was so neat. The glass bottle curved and dented in places to make it shaped like a fish and it was sealed with a marble. I couldn't resist and bought 4 - one for each of my boys. We had them for breakfast! You peeled the label off the top and it is sealed with a special stopper containing a marble. You use a little plunger and pop the marble down into the head of the fish and it jingles around while you drink - don't worry, it's not a choking hazard. Here are some pictures. It's hard to see, sorry...

See that top bubble in the bottle? that's the head of the fish and the marble rests in the head....


Here are the boys enjoying the soda - they say it tasted kind of like Sprite.


Update on the "unschooling" - I don't see it as the answer - there are still issues that need to be worked out and we will get them worked out eventually. I am just glad that Isaiah has found books that he likes to read. At this point I don't think the issue is the school work - he can do it, he can do most of it independently, he learns quickly - at this point the issue is the attitude. He doesn't want to take the time to do it - a lot like me and housework - the getting motivated to start part is what is giving us fits. I think there is always a balance to things - our society doesn't often remember the term moderation. I'm not going to jump into the deep end of "unschooling" - they make some fine points, but I personally don't see that method as preparing my children for real life.

Avery is sick again. A yucky cough all of a sudden. I hear whooping cough is going around a bit over here in our part of the world - I'm not worried that he's got it, but I must admit when I heard that deep cough again from him last night it was the first thing that popped into my head because it seems that everyone is talking about it. It is funny how people's excitement over something can so easily seep into your subconsciousness and bingo - it pops into your head - a month ago when Avery started coughing the thought of whooping cough never even entered my mind. That's why the advertisers are spending so much money promoting their products, that's why businesses love for people to talk about their services....and ultimately I am positive that's why God would want us to stay close to Him and listen to His Words. "Don't copy the behaviors and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect His will really is." Romans 12:2

Avery now has a fever and is very sleepy and lethargic which is not him at all. He coughed so much this morning that he threw-up a bit. I put him into a warm bath and he was shivering. I then put him into a Cars blanket sleeper and he zipped it up and he said, "I cute!" Then he ran to his brothers and said, "Zaya, Ooston, look car jammas, I cute!" So he's personality hasn't totally left him. But just so you know, I will keep an eye on him of course - and if it does turn out that whooping cough is a possiblity - that would qualify for taking him back to the doctor.


Ok, I will stop there for now - I had another issue I wanted to discuss - sparked by a book that Isaiah and I have been reading together - but I will save that for another post. I'm sure if you are still reading this your eyes are glazed over. Next time I'll have more pictures too.

Lillie is this close (picture my pincher fingers really close together) to taking her first steps. I will have to video it for you. She is playing it up let me tell you!

No comments: