Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Rough Start

We have had a bumpy start to the New Year in some respects...started off with a bang when 2 of the 3 boys woke up with pink eye, and now we have progressed into pneumonia. Huston had an extra special rough night last night, could not stop coughing and his fever spiked to become pretty high. We tag teamed the Tylenol and Motrin every two hours and the fever still never completely went away, and let me just tell you - Triaminic stinks...it would not touch the cough at all. I eventually gave him a small dose of adult strength Robitussin and finally....

he was able to sleep. Shhh...it took most of the night to get him to this point. At about 3:00am he decided to go back to his own bed to rest. And then an hour and a half later Avery came out of his room and found his way to me to let me know that he too had a fever (and a cough). So for the rest of the night I helped Avery get comfortable enough to finally go back to sleep about 6:00am. Just in time for me to catch an hour of snoozing before I had to get up at 7:00am to get ready to head to the lab for a morning of blood work.

The gestational diabetes test I took last week came back with my blood sugars kind of high - so that meant I had to go in this morning and take the 3 hour test. (I had to do the same thing when I was pregnant with both Isaiah and Huston) So after fasting from both eating and sleeping all night they took 4 samples of blood in 3 hours. Oh, did I mention that I "woke up" with pink eye this morning too?!

Anyway, I returned home from the marathon blood letting to find Huston no better - so after an hour of snoozing (for both of us) I put a call into the dr. and set up an appointment for both Huston and Avery. The appointment was uncharacteristically on-time and efficient and we quickly learned that Huston has pneumonia and an ear infection in both ears. (never has complained about his ears) Avery does not "officially" have pneumonia, but it is only a matter of time before it shapes up to become that, so he is being treated for the same thing (his ears are fine). They both have to take breathing treatments for the next 3 days to knock out the wheezing. So hopefully, these two will be on the mend very quickly and back to their normal ornery selves soon...

Did I mention that these two boys were absolutely wonderful patients?...no hesitation in doing what needed to be done and they were so polite to the nurse practitioner. We go back in a week to make sure everything is healing properly...in between now and then I am praying that they don't share their germs with any other family members - selfishly I am especially hoping that the lack of sleep and the coughs in the face (among other yucky incidences) do not add up to sickness for me - just too complicated to be sick when your pregnant! Hope you all are doing better than this, but it really sounds worse than it truly is for us too. We are doing fine despite the dr's report!

No comments: